California Writs and Appeals Attorney
Ehrlich Law Firm wins reversal of judgment in favor of McDonalds in suit by cashier who was shot at drive-through window
Jeanette Thompson was a 16-year old cashier working at a McDonalds’ franchise store in the Crenshaw District of Los Angeles. She was pulled through the window at the drive-through and shot. In her suit, she claimed that McDonalds’ Corporation controlled the design of the drive through, and failed to install proper protective features.
The trial court granted summary judgment for McDonalds’. The Ehrlich Law Firm obtained a reversal, and the matter will now be proceeding to trial. Thompson v. McDonalds’ Corp., 2009 WL 1653443 (2d District, Unpublished)
Southern California Appellate Law Attorney
While we enjoy appellate work and welcome any chance to handle an appeal, all too often we see that if we had been brought into a matter while the case was still pending in the trial court – particularly to oppose a summary-judgment motion – we could have avoided the need for an appeal and set the case in motion to settle. People need lawyers because the law is complex. Busy plaintiffs’ lawyers need our help for this same reason.
We can help you sort out the legal obstacles you must overcome in order to win your case, and prepare a powerful opposition to the following motions:
- Motions under Daubert and Kuhmo Tires to exclude expert testimony;
- Motions in limine;
- Post-trial motions, such as motions for new trial, or JNOV;
- Motions to compel arbitration; and
- Where an insurer has refused to defend its policyholder in litigation brought by a third party;
- Motions to quash for lack of personal jurisdiction
We can also prepare affirmative motions that can increase your chances to prevail, such as motions for summary-adjudication of issues; motions in limine, or motions to remand cases removed from state court to federal court.
Our Legal Services
- Federal and State Appeals
- Writ Petitions
- Writing Support for Trial Lawyers
- Summary-Judgment Oppositions
- Trial / Post Trial Support
- Insurance Claims Litigation for Policyholders